Counselling Services

Counselling Services

About School Counselling

Community Resources in Hong Kong

Counselling Services at South Island School

Our school realises that students may face many issues as they grow up be it peer pressure, academic struggles or adapting to a new school. Apart from approaching their Tutors or the Head of House or Learning Family Head, we also encourage students to use counselling service as an additional, confidential support to help them address difficulties that affect their social, emotional or intellectual wellbeing. We believe that students will benefit from counselling after improving their self-awareness and wellbeing. We offer students two qualified social workers who visit the school regularly and an experienced full time onsite school counsellor:

School Social Worker
Miss Kamy Yeung

She is a registered social worker from the Hong Kong Children & Youth Services (HKCYS). She enjoys working with adolescents and believes that everyone has the strengths to grow up. She also believes that “the problem is not a problem but the coping is.”(from Virginia Satir) and hopes to work together with people to find more choices in their lives. Apart from counselling, she also offers group services such as We-Serve community service Team, Anti-Drug Force Group, Obsessed Anti-cyber-bullying Group and organizes various community services to the students. (Website:

Kamy is in school on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 8:00am to 5:00pm.

Miss Stephanie Wan

Stephanie is dedicated to serve teenagers and enjoys listening to their life stories. She believes that everyone possesses the expertise to lead their own lives and she hopes to assist students to open up their lives to various possibilities. Apart from counselling, she will run The We Serve Community Service Team and organise different developmental programmes at South Island School.

Stephanie is in school on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:00am to 5:00pm, Fridays (8:00am to 4:00pm).

The Social Workers’ room is on G/F, D Block.

School Counsellor
Miss Julianne Yang

Julianne is the full-time Student Counsellor at SIS. She is an empathetic counsellor who cares deeply about young people’s concerns, and believes in helping people develop their own strengths. Originally from Norway, Ms. Yang has lived and worked in Hong Kong for 8+ years. She comes to us with a wealth of experience working with and teaching young people in Europe, Hong Kong and the USA. She earned her Master of Counselling from Monash University, Australia, and prior to this, gained her PhD in film and media studies from the University of Oslo, Norway.

She is in school from Monday to Friday (8:00 am to 4:30 pm). To schedule an appointment, email Ms. Yang directly or if you prefer, contact your Tutor, Head of House, or Vice-Principal Lucie Purves.

The Counsellor’s Room is located on the 1/F, D Block.

Counselling services schedule for 2020-2021:

What is counselling?

When you come for counselling, you have a chance to talk with a professional in confidence about whatever is going on in your life, whether you have problems regarding home or school, or simply want someone to talk to and seek advice from him/her. We will listen to you in a neutral and non-judgmental manner and help you work through challenges and explore your own strengths and potential clearly. We will respect your values, lifestyle and culture, and will work to help you make your own decisions, so that you feel stronger and more in control of your life.

What counselling can help

Counselling, both individual and group, is helpful for a range of issues, such as:

  •    Identity and Self-image
  •    Self-esteem and Confidence
  •    Bullying
  •    Family problems
  •    Relationship problems
  •    Managing Emotions
  •    Depression and Self-harm
  •    Anxiety or Exam Stress
  •    Study problems (Organization, Time management)
  •    Addictions
  •    Grief and Loss

Coming to see a social worker / counsellor is a positive step in trying to overcome your difficulties. Everyone has problems at points in their life, and sometimes we all need some help in finding our direction again. 


All conversations with you are private and confidential UNLESS you give permission to share with others. The ONLY exception is when there appears to be a serious risk to your own or others’ safety. In these circumstances, we would normally seek to speak to you first before contacting anyone else.

Sometimes it is helpful that we agree to share some information with your parents or teachers in order to get you the support you might need, this is always done with your permission too.

Confidential, trusting relationships are essential to effective counselling. 

How to make an appointment

  • Speak with your Tutor or Head of House/Year or Ms. Lucie Purves (Vice-Principal) who will help you to arrange an appointment
  • Email a school social worker / counsellor directly
  • Call or Drop by the Counsellor’s Office (2240-6703) / School Counsellor’s Office (2240-6784) for making an appointment directly
  • Talk to your parents who can help you by doing any of the above (# Parents are welcome to contact the counsellor for consultations or referrals too.)

Commitment to the process

Counselling is a collaborative process for both you and the counsellor. Engaging in the process will definitely help you to move forward though you may find it takes some time to talk openly with the counsellor. It will be important to commit yourself to scheduled appointments and taking responsibility for emailing or texting your counsellor in advance if you are unable to attend any meeting. It will help us re-arrange meetings with other student in need. You may reschedule another appointment.

On occasion, students are mandated to counselling to focus on issues which result in a breach of our school rules or special well-being concerns. Such appointments are usually made in collaboration with Tutors, Heads of Year or House, Individual Needs, Ms. Purves (Vice-Principal) and, on occasion, parents. Students are not referred just because they disrupt lessons and/or expressed anger, but based upon emotional difficulties, mental health issues or for another reason which has the potential to escalate or have an increased negative impact upon emotional wellbeing and learning. Your commitment is vital in the process.

Advice to Parents

If your child is receiving counselling, you can help them by:

  • Respecting their privacy and the confidential nature of counselling
  • Try not to intrude on their experience but let them know you are available if they need to talk
  • Limit your advice and guidance by encouraging your child to express what their feelings, needs and goals are:
  • Praise and encourage their positive manner in seeking help.
  • If your child is not ready for receiving counselling service in school but you as parents feel you need help, you may check the resources from any non-government organizations or private counseling service centres for assistance.
  • We treasure the communication with parents in supporting your child’s overall growth and development. Please feel free to contact our School Social Worker or School Counsellor if your require any help.

1. 24-Hour Hotlines for Crisis Intervention

Organisations 24-Hour Hotlines Websites / *Online Counselling
Social Welfare Department Hotline
2343 2255
The Samaritans: Multi-lingual Suicide Prevention Hotline
2896 0000
The Samaritan Befrienders H.K.
2389 2222
Suicide Prevention Services
2382 0000
Caritas HK – Family Crisis Line
CEASE Crisis Centre 芷若園
(For Family Crisis & Sexual Violence)
The Richmond Fellowship of Hong Kong
JustOne tele-health support service (mental health)
3512 2626

2. Other Youth Helplines

Organisations Helpline / Enquiry Websites / Email
The Samaritan Befrienders H.K.
(Enquiry on handling suicidal risks)
2319 1177

Mon – Fri: 9am-1pm & 2-6pm *(Chinese Only)

KELY Support Group
2521 6890


Rainlily 風雨蘭 – Association Concerning Sexual Violence Against Women (For victims of sexual abuse) 2375 5322

M–F: 9am-10pm; Sat: 9am-1pm


HK Family Planning Association
香港家庭計劃指導會 (For health)
2572 2222
Narcotics Division, Security Bureau
2366 8822

Anti-drug Instant Messaging Enquiry: 98 186 186

Integrated Smoking Cessation Hotline
1833 183
HK Eating Disorders Association Ltd.
2850 4448


E.A.S.Y. enquiry & referral Hotline (For early psychosis)
29 283 283
The Mental Health Association of Hong Kong
2772 0047

(Chinese Only)
Hong Kong Red Cross Psychological Support Service
2514 2280


* Shall We Talk Appointment from website

3. Counselling Resources in HK               

3.1 Integrated Family Service Centres from the Government / NGOs Sector:

On District Base: Please search from website of Social Welfare Department (SWD) to see the list of Socla Welfare Department (SWD) and Subvented Non-Governmental Organisations Integrated Family Services Centres (You can find the Family Service Centre in accordance to your residential area)

3.2 Specialised Co-parenting Support Centre (SCSC) Services:

On District Base: Five SCSCs are setup across territories to provide one-stop child focused co-parenting support services for separated/divorcing parents and/or their child:

3.3 Integrated Community Centre for Medical Wellness (ICCMW):

On District Base: For helping persons with suspected mental health problems or ex-mentally ill since secondary age in district-based community support and social rehabilitation services by various NGOs:

3.4 Outreaching Teams for Ethnic Minorities:

Three Outreaching Teams for supporting ethnic minorities group especially those from Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Thailand and Sri Lanka to connect with mainstream welfare services:

3.5 Other Counselling Services in Private Setting:

Name of Organisations Contact Details Address & Website
St. John’s Cathedral Counselling Service

* serving many ESF schools

Tel: 2525 7207 / 2525 7208

Fax: 2524 2777


Suite 7D, 7/F, On Hing Building, 1-9 On Hing Terrace, Central, HK

ReSource The Counselling Centre Ltd. Tel: 2523 8979

Fax: 2845 7352


23/F, Li Dong Building, 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong

Jadis Blurton Family Development Centre Tel: 2869 1962

Fax: 2869 7770


19th Floor, Kennedy Town Centre, 23 Belcher’s St,
Kennedy Town, Hong
OCD & Anxiety Support HK Email:
(for booking counselling session)
Central Health Partners Child Development Team

(with different types of professional support)

Tel: 2824 0822

Fax: 2824 0603


3/F, Baskerville House

13 Duddell Street, Central, HK


(for supporting students with SLD and/or AD/HD)

Tel: 2849 8218

Fax: 3019 7644


Room 1504, 15/F, CLI Building, 313 Hennessy Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong

Psynamo Mental & Allied Health Consultancy Tel: 2789 9907


Suite 1201, Car Po Commercial Buidling, 18-20 Lyndhurst Terrace, Central, H.K.

Centre on Behavioural Health (HKU)


Tel: 2831 5158

Fax: 2816 6710



2/F, The Hong Kong Jockey Club Building for Interdisciplinary Research,
5 Sasson Road, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Mood Disorders Centre (CUHK)


Tel: 2144 6004

Fax: 2144 5129



7A, Block E, 46, Ngan Shing Street, Shatin, NT

*(Chinese website Only)

Green Pastures Whole Person Development Centre


(Cantonese, Mandarin & English speaking counselors)

Tel: 2771 1370

Fax: 2771 7717


9/F Wofoo Commerical Building, 574-576 Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

Soul Care Counseling Center
(Cantonese, Mandarin speaking social workers)
Tel.: 3586 2252

Fax.: 3586 2252

Email :


Rm 1004, Nathan Centre,

580, Nathan Road, Mongkok, Kln.

*(Chinese website Only)

Additional Information

1 Mind HK
-Understand the mental health service provision and community service directory in Hong Kong
2 The Adolescent Medical Centre of Queen Elizabeth Hospital


-an adolescent friendly facility for providing comprehensive multi-disciplinary health care to aged 12-19 in Hong Kong. The team includes medical doctors, clinical psychologist, social worker, occupational therapists, dietitian and registered nurse.

Tel: 3506-6443

*You can contact School Social Workers for further discussion before making referrals.

*You can also seek psychiatric services from public /private hospitals in your residential district.

3 Search Engines for finding Psychiatrists in Hong Kong (by HK Medical
Association) (醫德網 Chinese Only)
4 Directory of Psychologists:

For people Registered with the Hong Kong Psychological Society (HKPS)*,php?fi=public


*Currently, there is No Statutory
Registration on who can practice as a Psychologist in HK and so the HKPS made a Register to ask members to observe the Code of Professional Conduct


Disclaimer: All information listed above is not comprehensive but for your information ONLY. You may explore other counsellors, therapists, social workers that fit your needs and interests.

(updated in August 2020)