‘SIS goes MaD’ 2012
LOCAL: Creativity, Action & Service
Year 7: Challenge Camp
• To develop a range of personal qualities and social skills through a residential experience;
• To provide a sense of community within the Year group through whole year group activities and house events;
• To provide students with challenges that enable them to achieve their personal best;
• To develop leadership, team work, trust and responsibility.
• To enhance students’ curricular learning.
• Provides opportunities for students to gain new experiences through a residential camp.
• Year 7 Camp, The Lantau Camp, provides an opportunity for developing self-awareness, for testing personal limitations and for meeting personal challenges. A varied curricular and extra-curricular programme encourages students to achieve their personal best. Through a range of new and exciting activities, such as kayaking, hiking, tent setting and camp craft, quiz nights and team building activities, students develop team spirit, responsibility to others and develop a close bond with their Year group. As this is the first opportunity for many of these students to experience a week away from home, independence and self-reliance are enhances.
• Year 7 Camp, aims to build on the previous experiences gained in Year 6 and to broaden horizons through extending some activities and developing new experiences. Students do some curricular enhancement through study of the wildlife, first aid, environmental awareness, orienteering, tracking and community service.
• ‘SIS goes MaD’ for Year 7 provides a sense of community, a real challenge and the opportunity to develop leadership skills. Through team building exercises, students learn to depend on one another, to be reliable and to be trusted. It is a great opportunity to mature into a young adult.