The Senior Years Curriculum
In Year 12 and 13 there are three possible pathways that students can take. There is extensive guidance offered by our Careers Department, Pathways Coordinators, Subject Teachers, Tutors and Heads of House to ensure students are guided into the most suitable pathway that complements their learning style and future aspirations.
Year 12 and 13 is not just about academic study and we aim to nurture and support each student’s interests as they continue to make a difference. We encourage students to become responsible risk takers and leaders and they are expected to take a positive role in the life of the school, such as helping with administration, charity work, clubs, societies and to run many school events. Many students derive great enjoyment form the opportunities presented to develop their talents and confidence.
Applied Learning Diploma Pathway
The Applied Learning Diploma is a specialist pathway for students that prefer a more applied style of learning. This is a rigorous two year advanced level curriculum designed for students who prefer a more practical, real world approach to their learning. The Diploma includes Btec courses, Work Skills, an Extended Project and Global Perspectives.
International Baccalaureate Diploma Pathway
The IB Diploma is a broad academic pathway taken by around 83% os students at South Island School. It offers breadth and give students a chance to study a broad range of academic disciplines from those shown in the diagram below.
The SIS Diploma Pathway
The SIS Diploma provides a breadth of learning and practical experience. There are no GCSE requirements. The progression for these students is meant to be towards further learning, work experience and preparation for fully enhanced adult living.
Please click on the links below to download and view the supporting documents listed.
- Senior Years Students Handbook (2012)
- Acknowledgement of the Conditions for Enrolment - SIS Senior School Handbook
- IB Assessment & Guidance Handbook (Year 2012-2014)
- Acceptance of SIS IB Assessment Rules and Regulations Form (Year 2012-2014)
- IB Assessment Schedule (August 2012 - May 2014)
- SIS Higher Education Predicted Grade Procedures
- Year 12 Summer Prep. IB Chinese Vocabulary List (Yr 2012-13)
- Year 12 Summer Prep. IB Mathematics "Background Knowledge" (Yr 2012-13)
- Science Curriculum (Year12 - 13)