South Island and other ESF schools receive a subsidy from the Hong Kong Government to provide an education for English speaking children who cannot access the local system. Our schools are not selective: admission depends above all on the student's ability to benefit from an ESF education.
- Students can only apply to the school of zone according to their Hong Kong residential address.
- Students must be able to cope with an English-medium curriculum.
- Admission is through interview and/or assessment.
- Places will be offered to successful applicants subject to availability.
- Only one online application may be submitted per student.
We prioritise applications according to the groupings listed below and by date of submission. Interview priority is given to:
- Children of ESF teachers;
- Siblings of children already attending an ESF school;
- Children who are Nominees under the Nomination Rights Scheme. (Effective from 3 October 2012. Please click here for details of the scheme.)
Children who speak English as a first or alternative language but do not speak Cantonese and/or read and write Chinese characters.
Children who can access the local system but who also meet ESF's entrance requirements. Within each category priority for interview will be given to students who:
- are former students returning from a period overseas;
- have a parent who is a full-time employee of ESF;
- are the children of former ESF students.
Age to Year Level Placement
The ESF system places children in the year group according to their date of birth (January-December). Please refer to the year of birth to year group table below.
|10 & 11*||1998 & 1997||1999 & 1998||2000 & 1999|
|12 & 13*||1996 & 1995||1997 & 1996||1998 & 1997|
*Students in the year of birth for Year 10 -11 and Year 12-13 need to study for a 2-year programme and therefore may need to enter at a lower year group. There is a possibility of entry into Year 11 or Year 13 if there is a significant curriculum match and they have followed the IGCSC/IB Diploma programme in Years 10 and 12 in another school.
For 2013/14 Year 7 (Born in 2002)
For Years 8-12 (and current Year 7)
Parents should submit online application through General Applications. (This form is not applicable for 2013/14 Year 7 application during 1-30 September 2012.)
List of Supporting Documents
School of Zone
School Fees and Refundable Capital Levy
2012/13 – Term 1
Please feel free to contact School Admissions Office at 2555-9313 or via email at email@example.com for any queries.