South Island School receives a subsidy from the Hong Kong Government to provide an education for English speaking children who cannot access the local system. Our School is not selective: admission depends above all on the student’s ability to benefit from an ESF education.
New Policy and Procedures for Admission is now in force. Please refer to ESF website for further information.
- Applications for entry are made through the Online Admission System (OAS) accessed via the ESF website (http://www.esf.edu.hk/our-schools). For Year 1 and Year 7, application is made during a strictly limited period, September 1 to 30 of the year before they enter school.
- Students can only apply to the school of zone according to their Hong Kong residential address. Students from overseas can only apply to the school of zone for their expected area of residence in Hong Kong. Applicants from Hong Kong and applicants from overseas have equal status. Zones are adjusted from time to time in the light of changing numbers.
- Only one online application may be submitted per student (life cycle of application – one academic year).
Priority for Admission
Students applying for enrolment to an ESF school are placed on a waiting list. Priority for an admissions interview/assessment will be based on the following ranked criteria; students who are able to benefit from an English medium education and who (in order):
- Are Corporate Nomination Rights Nominees;
- Are the children of full-time staff at ESF or ESF Educational Services Ltd;
- Are siblings of students already attending an ESF primary or secondary school, private independent school or Jockey Club Sarah Roe School;
- Are Individual Nomination Rights Nominees;
- Are current students requesting internal transfer;
- Are the children of former students who have attended an ESF school for a minimum of 3 years or are former ESF students returning from a period overseas;
- Are children attending an ESF International Kindergarten* [Note: contingent upon the child studying in the kindergarten continuously until the end of term 3 prior to entry into primary school];
- Are children nominees from universities with collaboration agreement with ESF; and
- Are other applicants who can benefit from an English-medium education.
* Priority for interview is subject to having attended kindergarten for a minimum of two terms prior to the applicable January Year 1 interview period. Students recently arrived from overseas are exempt from the two terms requirement.
# Teachers are given priority according to employment terms for ESF or the private independent schools.
Year of Birth to Year Level Placement
The ESF system places children in Year Group according to their date of birth (1 January – 31 December). Please note that the entry Year Group entered by parents on the application form may be adjusted to ensure the child’s date of birth matches the school’s age requirements.
Year of Birth to Year Level Placement:
|10 & 11*||2003 & 2002||2004 & 2003||2005 & 2004|
|12 & 13||2001 & 2000||2002 & 2001||2003 & 2002|
*Students in the year of birth for Year 10 -11 and Year 12-13 need to study for a 2-year programme and therefore may need to enter at a lower year group. There is a possibility of entry into Year 11 if there is a significant curriculum match and they have followed the IGCSE programme in Year 10 in another school.
For 2018/19 Year 7 (Children born in 2007)
Admissions for students moving from Year 6 to 7 are centralized in ESF Centre. All applications received within the Central Application Period are processed in random order using a computer generated sequential number. From this list, students are then ordered according to the priority criteria.
Central Application period for 2018/19 Year 7: 1 to 30 September 2017
Applications received after the Central Application Period will be placed at the end of their respective priority waiting list in date order of receipt.
Full set of supporting documents should be sent by registered mail to English Schools Foundation, Year 7 Central Admissions, 25/F, 1063 King’s Road, Quarry Bay, Hong Kong.
For All Other Year Groups in 2017/18 and 2018/19
Parents should submit online application through General Applications.
Full set of supporting documents (hard copy) should be sent to South Island School, Admissions Office, 50 Nam Fung Road, Hong Kong. Once online application is submitted, your child will be placed on the corresponding year group waiting list. School Admissions Office will contact parents in due course when opportunities come up.
General Information for All
- Applicants must submit the application package in full.
- Parents may only submit one online application form per child with their selected preference of schools. Zoning applies for ESF primary and secondary schools. Discovery College and Renaissance College remain zone free.
- Applications for all other year levels are considered under application date order and added to the waiting list according to the priority criteria.
- Applicants will be invited for assessment and interview when opportunities come up; an interview with parent is included in the process.
- Places will be offered after successful admissions assessment and interview, subject to availability.
- Acceptance of the offer must be confirmed by payment of a deposit and a Capital Levy within the time frame specified on the offer letter, generally a period of between 7 and 14 days.
- Acceptance of an offer is with a commitment of 2 academic years to the offering school before any transfer request can be made regardless of the residential address.
- Re-application is required when:
– An offer for an interview/ assessment has been declined
– An offer of a place has been declined
– A student has not met the entry requirements at interview/ assessment
– The one academic year validity period of the application has expired
- If an offer of a place is not made after interview and assessment, even though the student meets the entry requirements for the school, as at the time places are not available, the child will be returned to the age-appropriate waiting list according to his/her priority status and, in the case of Central Admission applicants, the random number he/she was assigned. In the event a place becomes available within six months of the initial successful assessment, no further assessment will be required.
Copies of the following should be sent to School Admissions Office for consideration. An application with insufficient supporting documents or non-payment of fee will not be processed.
• Completed ‘Online Application’ form or the application slip/acknowledgement email
• Application fee online payment result
• Student’s Birth Certificate
• Student’s Passport (including their visa status) and Hong Kong ID Card if issued
• Student’s current and last year’s school reports
• A reference letter from student’s current school (for applications to Year 3 and above)
• Examination certificates/results (for Year 12 applications)
• Parents’ Hong Kong ID Cards and Passports
• Details of parent attendance at ESF primary/secondary school(s) (if applicable)
• 2 student’s passport quality photographs showing his/her frontal face with clear facial features, measuring 4cm (width) x 5cm (height)
• Two proof of HK address documents – a copy of a stamped tenancy or a current government demand for rates bill plus an original utility bill or bank statement
An application with insufficient supporting documents or non-payment of fee will not be processed.
South Island School catchment area covers:
Causeway Bay, Happy Valley including Tai Hang Road, Wong Nai Chung Road, Blue Pool Road, Wan Chai, Stubbs Road, Queen’s Road East, Kennedy Road (east of Hopewell Centre), Jardine’s Lookout, North Point, Shaukeiwan, Chai Wan, Shek O, Stanley, Chung Hom Kok, Repulse Bay, Deepwater Bay, Tai Tam and Shouson Hill.
Please refer to the ESF School Fees page for further information.
Non-refundable Capital Levy (for 2016/17 or after entry)
Please refer to the ESF NCL for further information.
Should you have any further queries, please contact School Admissions Office at 2240-6706 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 20 July 2017